Saturday, February 2, 2008

Who should we Vote for: Obama or Clinton?

As some of you might know, this election is already historic: For the first time in history, there is either going to be a black person or a woman competing for the presidency of USA. Even though I don't have the right to vote in USA, as you might have noticed, I am very much interested in American Politics and I tend to like Democrats over Republicans.

With that background aside, herez the deal. Who should we vote for in the Democratic primary? From the looks of it, policy wise Hillary and Barack are no different. Both of them are smart, decent human beings. Either of them would make a much better president compared to the low low bar set by Mr. G.W.Bush. And I think the country is ready for a Democrat to be back at the realm. Wait a minute, I thought the same in 2004. Oh well.

So, on what should we base our choice between Hillary and Barack? I'd say electability. Here comes the rub. I am not able to make a solid case for either of them. Both have their pros and cons in that department. If what CW(conventional wisdom) says comes to fruit, then one of these two will be facing John McCain in the Finals. So, imagine each of them against him. We don't know how Barack is going to be able to withstand the onslaught of the Karl Rove style politics that will be thrown at him by Republicans. On that front, Hillary has an advantage in the sense, she has been smeared last 10 years non-stop. I think its hard to find new material on her.

Consider MSM(main stream media). MSM loves Mc Cain and hates Hillary. I haven't seen a narrative formed against Barack yet. They seem to like him so far. But as Gene Lyons said in this column:

Because the same kind of Oprah-fied, pundit-driven, "American Idol" media crush that's anointing Obama today can turn him into an object of contempt overnight. And if you're not already aware of that, then you haven't been paying attention.

I loved the whole column btw. So do Check it out. Especially the end.

I've seen Obama's fans arguing that he brings independents and vary republicans to his side in the Final fight and Hillary can't. Mc Cain is also considered a fav for indi's. So, I'd say no one knows what's going to happen on independents front.

One another argument against Hillary is that she is going to energize the Republican base, the talk radio hosts and some in MSM (like Chris Matthews). I think it will be balanced by the nomination of McCain. The GOP base and Talk Radio hate McCain as of now. Right now they are saying they would vote for Hillary over McCain. I am sure they'd start saying McCain is way better than Hillary if he gets nominated.

All in all, I'd say its just anybody's guess how the the Finals are going to turn out. But, my guess is Hillary is going to be a better Finalist over Obama.

Even though I am not a fan of Aristocracy, I have to say, go Hillary Clinton!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, i'm still in dilema to choose between Chiru, YSR, and CBN. Not ready for more confusion:)

    ReplyDelete

IPL Players - Where are they from?